Wednesday 24 September 2014

South Africa Safari

So the planning for my trip to South Africa for safari is going great, thanks to my trip advisor from Nyati Safari! My friend is a wildlife photographer and he will be going to South Africa, to Kruger National Park, to film some footage for a client, and he asked me to come along to help with the equipment. Now that I’ve gotten all of the logistics of visas and travel arrangements out of the way, I realized I have a little extra time that I can spend while I’m there to see the sights. So when I told my trip advisor from Nyati that we would be in the country for at least a week, maybe two, they had so many suggestions to enhance our safari experience.

It’s just going to be my buddy Peter and I, so we didn’t need to take advantage of Nyati’s larger family style lodges. We stuck to a river bungalow each, which was super affordable - very important since our client was asking us to float some of the costs of the trip and be reimbursed after the job was complete. Peter was only going to be there for 4 days, but I chose the 7-day Safari Package, which includes so many amazing things.

Most importantly, as anyone who knows me knows that I love to eat, the price for the week includes full room and board. There’s an onsite chef and meals in the field...and it’s all part of the package! And the cabin is right along the Olifants River, so every morning when I wake up, I get to watch crocodiles, hippos, and all the wildlife get their day started. Enough about the accommodations though. What will I be DOING you ask?

Bushwalks and a “Big Five” game drive, for starters. Not only will I have time in Kruger Park with Peter, but also I’ll have my own morning bushwalks with certified rangers and guides, and a ride in Nyati’s exclusive open-top 4x4’s as we go out looking for lions, buffalo, leopards, rhinos, and elephants. In addition to full-day trips into the field, and evening bush-drives, I’ll get a trip out to the Drakensberg Mountains and an evening boat ride along the Olifants. And these are just the basics to the trip.

What I have to decide now is what I’m going to add to the trip. They have so many excursions and different ways that I can experience other aspects of South Africa in addition to the Safari Package. There are trips to Cape Town and the South African Wine Country nearby, a train ride to Victoria Falls and Zimbabwe’s own nature reserve, even an option to visit Nyati’s Beach Lodge in Mozambique or a some amazingly luxurious resorts in Mauritius. Smaller add-ons to the safari experience include a big game hunting trip, different sorts of safari “rides” including  microlight, helicopter, airballoon, or even quad bike!

I have some time before I have to let my trip advisor know what I want to add to my trip. Any suggestions? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment